Do you want to apply your passion for quantum computing, help make renewables more sustainable, and build cutting-edge tools to help “software eat the world?” If you want to join a team where you can have a real impact on the development of the business, integrate your passion for advanced computing, and work in a dynamic environment, we want to hear from you!
At ForeQast we apply quantum and advanced computing to solve the world’s toughest challenges. We are dedicated to building digital twins of real-world systems that allow you to continually benefit from advances in both quantum and classical hardware. Our top priority at ForeQast is to build an optimized control solution on near-term quantum computers for wind farms to improve production, operation, and optimize load distribution.
About the position:
ForeQast seeks outstanding researchers, exceptional Ph.D. students, and Postdoctoral fellows globally for at least 4 to 6 month long paid positions (starting from May 2021) at an academic institute (including the University of Waterloo) and jointly with ForeQast Technologies. Exceptional Master’s students may also be considered.
You will be one of the key researchers and developers in projects that focus on building and testing quantum algorithms for combinatorial optimization and machine learning. The goal of the collaboration is the development of an optimization and forecasting platform for our industrial clients, as well as publishing in high-impact journals. This project offers you an opportunity for getting hands-on experience in top-level industrially relevant research and development.
Key roles include:
- Designing and testing quantum algorithmic methods for combinatorial optimization and machine learning
- Constantly learn through your work as well as active engagement with the academic community
- Present to and learn from the team members and collaborators
- Perform simulations and benchmarking
- Design and analyze algorithms
- Implement numerical experiments
- Participate in generating reports, drafting patents, authoring publications, and attending conferences
Required knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Ph.D. student or Postdoc in computer science, physics, mathematics, or a related discipline
- A strong track record in graduate-level course works and graduate-level research projects
- Expertise in quantum and designing quantum-inspired algorithms
- knowledge of TensorFlow (and familiarity with TFQuantum)
- Experience with Unix/Linux and 2+ years Python programming experience
- Theoretical and/or experimental expertise in quantum hardware such as superconducting qubits
- Desire to learn about other quantum hardware such as silicon photonics, trapped ion systems, quantum optics, cold-atom qubits, spin-based qubits
- Ability to work well with others towards a common goal
Desirable skills and knowledge:
- As you will be working with an expert in machine learning, the following skills would be good to know for the role:
- Experience with Python for data analysis
- Intermediate programming skills in C/C++
- Experience with basic concepts in machine learning such as classification, principal component analysis, and feature selection
- Familiarity with optimization methods and experience with either PuLP, C-PLEX, GUROBI or AMPL for solving real-world problems
- Experience with machine learning packages such as Scikit-Learn, Keras, or TensorFlow/PyTorch
ForeQast is an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
- Seniority Level: Intermediate level
- Industry: Computer software
- Employment Type: Paid internship (salary is competitive)
- Job Functions: Research, Software development, Analyst, Information Technology